AGSB has a proud history and tradition of sporting provision, whether it is for the elite athlete or the beginner. Sport plays a major part in the curricular, extra-curricular and reflects the mission statement and values of the school.
Sport at the Altrincham Grammar School for Boys caters for pupils of all abilities, all of which are equally important to us. Our school offers vast amounts
The school’s wide range of sporting activities includes inter-school matches, country and national competitions. All students have access to our extensive co-curricular sports programme, where the emphasis is on friendly competition and exercise.
Our sport facilities are impressive, extensive and includes rugby pitches, indoor and outdoor cricket nets, all weather pitch, fitness suite, sports hall and grass cricket squares.
Our ambitious, challenging and stimulating GCSE and A Level courses develops knowledge and understanding of a range of factors that contribute to health, well-being and high-performance Sport. We teach beyond the syllabus and encourage pupils to draw on their own sporting experiences when completing assessments or participating in several inspiring vocational opportunities.
The school regularly reaches national finals in a variety of sports. In recent years we have had boys who have gained international honours in rugby and hockey.
AGSB sport has a proud tradition of maintaining a high standard in competitive schoolboy sport. With highly consistent results across all sports, AGSB aims to give the best possible coaching and facilities and it expects the best back, to continue this tradition. We are one of the few schools that can boast that we run Rugby, Football and Hockey all alongside each other. On occasion we can have up to 20 squads playing on a Saturday morning across all age groups and sports.
- AGSB has a strong rugby tradition, we strive to create an engaging and challenging environment so that every pupil, regardless of experience or perceived ability, can realise their potential with a love of the game which lasts a lifetime. We promote the core values of the game as we believe the skills developed can cross over into many other parts of a student’s life.
- AGSB has produced several schoolboy internationals over the years, with many going on to play first class rugby. AGSB boasts a highly competitive fixture list, coming up against schools such as MGS, and QEGS Wakefield. Each year AGSB enters the Natwest Cup at both U15 & U18 level and all the county cup competitions at XV and 7 aside. We have won numerous county cups and have been fortunate to win the U15 Natwest Vase once.
- We regularly put out 8 teams on a Saturday.
- AGSB has experienced huge amounts of success in Hockey in recent years in both indoor and outdoor Hockey. We enter all county and national cup competitions. AGSB have squads at U12, U14, U16 & U18.
- We run indoor hockey across the U16 and U18 age groups both of which take part in the national championships.
- AGSB regularly reach county, regional and national finals in many age groups each season. We are fortunate to have access to high level coaching from Mr A Marcano, his work has allowed all AGSB hockey players to reach their potential.
- We run two teams in most age groups at AGSB. The fixture card is very strong and on a Saturday morning we regularly put out 9 teams in football alone.
- Each age group is entered into the Trafford and GM Cups, with several teams entering the English Schools Cup.
- We have 2 grass pitches and an artificial sand-based pitch. All age groups receive high level coaching throughout the week and on Saturday mornings.
- In recent years AGSB pupils have gone on to secure professional contracts.
- Cricket is the main sport in the summer term and is offered to all boys from Year 7 through to Sixth Form. We take part in a variety of fixtures including both Saturday and mid-week games as well as local and national cup competitions.
- We have 2 wickets on site, one grass and one artificial. We also have indoor nets, hopefully we will expand our facilities to allow for 4 outdoor nets.
- Each age group enters the county cup competitions and we have a strong Saturday morning fixture card.
During the summer term all boys will be taught athletics in curriculum lessons and participate in a variety of both track and field events each week, that include:
- Shot Put
- Long Jump
- Triple Jump
- High Jump
- Track races and sprints
On top of this, boys can represent the school at both local and county athletics events. AGSB have a strong tradition of producing some of the finest athletes in the area, with boys representing the county and regional teams
- Badminton is introduced into the AGSB PE curriculum from Year 7 and continues through until the Sixth Form. This gives the boys the opportunity to develop and refine a range of skills, techniques and tactics.
- Our students have the opportunity to improve their skills in our regular supervised clubs, before school, at lunchtime and afterschool, whether it be playing in a ladder tournament or just rallying with a friend.
- The strength of AGSB badminton has raised dramatically over recent years. We regularly get success at regional level and have reached the national finals on several occasions.
- The main focus of the school’s Table Tennis club, has always been to achieve the involvement of the largest number of boys, regardless of ability.
- We regularly see around 70 to 80 pupils across all years through the week.
- The club is very popular at Years 7, 8 and 9, and is a good opportunity for boys new to the school to gain confidence in an environment where participation does not necessarily depend on having a high level of skill. That said, for those boys who wish to be involved at a more competitive level, AGSB enter the local, regional and national competitions.
- The AGSB tennis program has gone from strength to strength in recent years. Our in-house tennis coach Mr M Furness runs sessions through the week. It has been extremely popular and AGSB have benefitted from his dedication reaching regional and national finals on a regular basis.
- We run A-C teams in most age group with each team entering the county cup competitions.