Altrincham Grammar School for Boys rated Outstanding by Ofsted
Altrincham Grammar School for Boys has been judged to be ‘outstanding’ by inspectors, with the School gaining this highest-possible rating in all five of Ofsted’s categories. There is praise for every aspect of the School’s work, from the quality of teaching to the behaviour of pupils, and from the huge variety of extra-curricular opportunities through to the work done to prepare pupils for university.
Altrincham Grammar School for Boys was previously inspected by Ofsted in 2007 and judged to be outstanding against the framework at the time. As such the school was exempt from routine inspection for the next 14 years until the exemption was removed.
The inspection team gave outstanding ratings for: the quality of education; behaviour and attitudes; personal development; leadership and management, and Sixth Form provision.
The team of five inspectors visited a sample of subject lessons across the curriculum, while conducting a more in-depth inspection of five subjects: English, Mathematics, Science, Design & Technology and History. This ‘deep dive’ included holding meetings with teachers and pupils, visiting lessons and reviewing pupils’ work. The inspectors also looked at the responses to Ofsted’s own surveys of the views of pupils, staff and parents.
Graeme Wright, Head Master, said: “It is obviously very satisfying to have the work and achievements of our students and staff recognised in such glowing terms by the inspectors. It is a clear endorsement of the School and the quality of the all-round education provided at AGSB.
I would like to thank our students for their commitment and engagement to our School not only during the inspection, but also over the challenging few years of disruption that they have faced. I would also like to use this opportunity to pay tribute to the steadfast support we receive from parents, governors and trustees, which enables us to sustain the levels of excellence to which we aspire each and every day.”
We are very pleased to see the report reflect the hard work and commitment of everyone in our school community. Our students are described as humble, respectful and kind young people, who love coming to school and who thrive here and achieve exceptionally well. The report commends the knowledge and skill of our teaching staff and the support they provide to students, and the hard work and dedication of our whole staff team both in and outside the classroom is rightly acknowledged.
Highlights of the report include:
- “Pupils, and students in the sixth form, at Altrincham Grammar School for Boys exude kindness towards each other”
- “Pupils and students demonstrate the highest levels of respect, responsibility and resilience”
- “Leaders and staff are exceedingly ambitious for pupils and students”
- “Pupils and students relish the challenge to excel and demonstrate a thirst for learning”
- “Students in the sixth form are an example and inspiration to younger pupils”
- “ Pupils and students behave impeccably around the school site”
- “Teachers have strong subject knowledge, they explain subject content clearly”
- “Subject staff ensure that pupils and students with SEND get the timely support that they need to learn well.”
- “Staff do everything that they can to offer pupils high levels of pastoral care.”
To read to full report, please click on this link: Ofsted report 2022