Skip to content ↓

How to Apply

Who is eligible for Pupil Premium funding?

Pupil Premium funding is designed to support boys from backgrounds where there is financial hardship or constraints, boys who are in care or have left care, and boys who have one or more parents in the Armed Forces. Boys can become eligible for Pupil Premium funding by one of the following means:

1) Free School Meals FSMs

If you are currently eligible for FSMs or have been eligible for FSMs at any time in the last six years, then your son will also be eligible for Pupil Premium funding. Boys whose parents/carers receive one of the following benefits are entitled to FSMs.

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • The guaranteed element of the State Pension Credit
  • Income-related employment and support allowances
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400
  • Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190

If your child qualifies for free school meals but takes a packed lunch, it’s still important that you tell us and submit a free school meals application, as this will enable us to claim Pupil Premium funding on their behalf.

How do I apply for Free School Meals?

If you think you are entitled to receive FSMs for your son, you should apply directly to your local authority.  If you are within the Trafford Borough, please use the following link to apply.


2) Service Children

If one or both parents are currently working in the Armed Forces, or your son has been registered as a ‘service child’ in the school census at any point since January 2011, he will be eligible for Pupil Premium funding.

3) ‘Looked After’ Children (adopted from care)

Schools in England also receive Pupil Premium funding for children adopted from care or who left care under a Special Guardianship Order (SGO). Schools are also allocated Pupil Premium for children who left care under a child arrangements order (previously known as a residence order).